Behind the Book is an ongoing series wherein I tackle a new chapter of Croak each week and give you all of the secret, behind-the-scenes tidbits and trivia that went into writing it. For an archive of past chapters, click here. Enjoy!
Chapter 6: The Ethering
- If you want to imagine the whirlwind trip through the Ether, cue up the scene from Twister when the cow blows by, then watch it through a kaleidoscope.
- My original plan was to have different targets souls’ come out as different colors, depending on what sort of personalities they’d had in life, but in the end decided to stick with Ethereal Blue for everyone.
- I’ve gotten questions about this before, so I’ll attempt to clear it up here: the scythes that the Grims carry are hand-held, about the size of a hammer. I am aware that the one on the cover of the book is big. It was used purely for Grim Reaper recognition.
- I wanted to eventually go into specifics about how the scythes are made and where they come from, but since it didn’t tie in to any of the other plot lines in ROGUE, I was forced to abandon it. I give you permission, therefore, to make up your own origin stories.
- I remember having a particularly thorny time describing the motion I was imagining to slice a scythe through the air. The description I settled on – hard and fast with a flicking motion like a Frisbee – was as close as I could get, but I always wished that I could include a little Youtube link to a live action demonstration.
- For those of you curious about the research that went into this book: it involved a shit-ton of internet searches for all of the different ways people can die. It wasn’t cheerful, and I am almost definitely on several government lists now. On the plus side, I now get strangely gory and specific birthday gifts, like this book from my cousin.
Got any questions about Chapter 6? Post them below!